Dr Eur Ing Malcolm Macdonald
B.Eng (Hons) PhD C.Eng MRAeS
Current Funded Projects
- NERC, Early Concept for a New Mission: A Spaceborne Multispectral Canopy Lidar, 2010 - 2011
- European Space Agency, Contract AO/1-6010/09/F/MOS; Study on gravity gradient compensation using low thrust high Isp motor, 2009 - 2010
- EPSRC DTA Grant; Distributed and Heterogeneous Swarming Systems for Applications across the Digital Economy, Aerospace and Transportation, 2009 - 2012
- GRPE; The Orbital Dynamics of Advanced Planetary Observation Systems, 2009-2012
- Faculty Non-Recurring Investment Fund; Strathclyde Spacecraft Tracking and Command Station - STAC, 2009 - 2011
- Department Non-Recurring Investment Fund; Strathclyde Spacecraft Development Facility, 2009 - 2011
- Bridging The Gap; Strathclyde Space Systems Engineering Seminar Program, 2009 - 2011
Further information about on-going research activities and the Advanced Space Concepts Laboratory can be found at www.strath.ac.uk/space.
- EPSRC DTA Grant; Design and Analysis of Spacecraft Smart Structures, 2010 - 2013
For a list of publications from 2001, please follow this link. Select 'Browse', 'Author or Creator', Macdonald, Malcolm http://strathprints.strath.ac.uk/view/depts/11048.html
My research interests are based around frontier research into visionary space systems through the application of advanced technologies and concepts, developing mission applications. My research covers astrodynamics, mission analysis, advanced space technologies and technology requirements development. I also have interests in swarm engineering, covering formation flying, flocking / swarming systems and proximity operations, along with the development of planetary vehicle entry descent and landing systems and modelling / simulation and control of non-linear systems such as aircraft / spacecraft dynamics. Hardware interests centre on Unmanned Autonomous Systems (UAS), including micro /and nano-spacecraft, including CubeSats, and aircraft.
- NERC Pool of Technologies Reviewer from January 2010.
- Royal Aeronatical Society, Space Group Committee from 2009.
- CubeSat Research Network Steering Group from 2008.
Editorships and Editorial Board Membership
- Associate Editor, Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, AIAA, from January 2009.
- Editorial Board Member, Recent Patents on Space Technology, from June 2009.
- Referee and peer reviewer for several international journals
Conferences – Committees/Invited Lectures
- International Organizing Committee,2nd International Symposium on Solar Sailing (ISSS 2010), July 2010, Brooklyn, New York.
- Invite Review Paper,2nd International Symposium on Solar Sailing (ISSS 2010), July 2010, Brooklyn, New York.
- Associate Editor, 3rd International Symposium on System and Control in Aerospace and Astronautics, ISSCAA 2010, June 2010, Harbin, China.
- Invited speaker, Scottish Association of Authorised Medical Examiners Annual Scientific Meeting (SAAME 2010), March 2010, Glasgow, Scotland.
- Invited speaker, Institute of Physics lecture, September 2009, Sellafield, England.
- Committee member, 2nd International Symposium on System and Control in Aerospace and Astronautics (ISSCAA 2008), 10 – 12 December 2008, Shenzhen, China.
- Invited Speaker, CubeSat Research Network Launch Event (a Qi3 event), 7 November 2008, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, London, England.
- Session Chair and Expert Panel Member, Nanosatellite Symposium, 28 September 2008, Clyde Auditorium, SECC, Glasgow, Scotland.
- Invited Speaker,Advanced Topics in Astrodynamics summer school, Barcelona 2004.
Other memberships and affiliations,
- EADS Astrium: Technical Consultant, 2010
- ESA: the Solar Kite study, 2004
- Team Encounter LLC: Solar sail technical consultant, 2003
- Lockheed Martin: Astrophysics & Solar Science Group mission specialist consultant, 2001 – 2003
- Member of the Royal Aeronatical Society (RAeS)
- Engineering Council UK (ECUK), Chartered Engineer (C.Eng)
- Registered European Engineer (Eur Ing) with the European Federation of National Engineering Associations (FEANI)
- Associate Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
Prizes and Awards
Ackroyd Stuart Propulsion Prize (2003), Royal Aeronautical Society