Prof Neville Baker
BMet PhD DMet DSc DEng CEng CPhys FIMMM FInstP
||+44 (0) 141 548 3101
Current Funded Projects
- EPSRC Grant: Submerged multi-arc welding of stainless steel, with Kvaerner, 1998, £95k.
- EPSRC Grant - GR/M22918/01: Evolution of precipitation during the processing of direct charged thin slab cast microalloyed vanadium steels, with British Steel and Vanitec, 1998, £187K.
- EPSRC Grant: - GR/M96674/01: Applications of EDX on the TEM, 2000, £94K (with the late Prof Alan Hendry).
- EPSRC Project - with BAE SYSTEMS
- Final Year Undergraduate Student Project - with Alcan International
- EPSRC Project - with Professor A Craven, University of Glasgow, Department of Physics and Astronomy. Also involving Corus and Vanitec.
Previous EPSRC Support:
- GR/K74104/01 The Influence of Geometry on the Through-Thickness Mocrostructural Gradients in Hot Rolling
- GR/K64341/01 The Influence of Zirconium Carbonitride Precipitates on Grain Refinement of Austenite in Low Carbon Steel
- GR/K70304/01 Advanced Surface Engineering of Titanium Alloy Components
- GR/E80190/01 Aluminium Alloy Metal Matrix Composites Preparation Characterisation and Properties
- GR/E20974/01 Strain Rate Controlled Deformation of Aerospace alloys
For a list of publications from 2001, please follow this link. Select 'Browse', 'Author or Creator', Baker, Thomas N. http://strathprints.strath.ac.uk/view/depts/11048.html
Relationships between Processing, Microstructure and Properties of alloys and MMC's.
Quantitative analytical electron microscopy.
Includes powder metallurgy, forging, heat treatment, welding, particularly laser welding, an laser surface engineering.
In addition to strength, ductility and toughness, tribology has become an increasing interest.
Include microalloyed steels, austenitic and duplex stainless steels, aluminium, titanium and nikel based superalloys.
A study of the evolution of precipitation in direct charged thin slab cast vanadium microalloyed steels.
Laser surface engineering of titanium involving nitriding and powder injection.
Laser welding of stainless steels.
- Chartered Engineer
- EPSRC: Member of the Structural Materials College
- Fellow of the Institute of Materials
- Integrated Manufacturing and Processing Committee Member
- SAM: President of the Scottish Association of Metals
- ASM: Member of the American Society for Metals
Click here to view all publications from 1962 to 18th January 2007
Prizes and Awards
- The Vanadium Award 2009 Sponsored by the Vanadium International Technical Committee (Vanitec), this prize is awarded for the most outstanding paper in metallurgy and technology of vanadium and its alloys. Paper title: 'Processes, Microstructure and Properties of Vanadium Microalloyed Steels', Materials Science and Technology, 25, (9), 1083-1105, Maney Publishing, September 2009.
- Tom Colclough Medal and Prize 2010 Awarded in recognition of learned contribution to understanding microstructure, mechanical properties, fabricability or in-services performance, production or engineering connected with the iron and steel industry.
- Fellow The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining
- Fellow The Institute of Physics
- Higher Degrees: