Prof Margaret Stack
DSc (Manc), CEng, CPhys, FIMMM, FIMechE, FInstP
Professor & Leader of Department Graduate School
||+44 (0) 141 548 3754
Current Funded Projects
EPSRC Grant - EP/K013319/1 REC-ASM- Reducing the Costs of Marine Renewables via Advanced Structural Materials, £1.01M, Principal Investigator
EPSRC Grant - GR/N31863/01 TRICORRNET - Tribo-Corrosion Network, £62.2K, Principal Investigator
Leverhulme Trust- RL7583 Leverhulme Visiting Professorship, £64.6K, Co-Investigator
Previous EPSRC Support:
- GR/J32732/01 Identification of Transitions in Aqueous Erosion-Corrosion Kinetics Using Electrochemical Techniques, £109K, Principal Investigator
- GR.H63722/01 Development of a Mathematical Model for Erosion-Oxidation of Alloys in Low-Velocity Conditions, £66K, Co-Investigator
For publication pre-prints please follow this link.
My research interests are focused on the interactions of solid particle erosion and wear of materials in corrosive environments, with specific emphasis on the development of mapping techniques for understanding the mechanisms of materials loss.
I head up the Tribology Research Group in the department.
I am the author/co-author of 150 papers and have presented the work at over 70 international/national conferences.
I lead the International Network on Tribo-Corrosion (TrICorr-Net) and sit on several editorial boards including Tribology International and Open Applied Physics.
I was Programme Chair for TriboCorrosion 2012 Georgia Tech, Atlanta, US and am Conference Chair for the 4th International Conference on Tribo-Corrosion, Glasgow, April 2014.
Current Research projects
Editorships and Editorial Board Memberships:
- Leader International Network on Tribo-Corrosion (TrICorr-Net)
- UK representative to EFC working party on Tribo-Corrosion
- Member EPSRC Peer Review College
- Member Incorporation of Hammermen Glasgow
- Past President Scottish Association of Metals
- Member Institute of Physics Tribology Group
- Member RAE2008 Panel UoA 29, Metallurgy and Materials, Higher Education Funding Council of England, HEFCE
- Co-ordinator West-Scot Athena LAWN Project for mentoring women in Science and Engineering in the West of Scotland 2004
- Member Review Panel FANAS, European Science Foundation 2007-2012
- Technical Consultant to Bechtel, USA 2007and 2008
- Member Institute of Physics Visiting Panels on Progression of Academic Women in Physics 2004-2006 -
- Edinburgh University, Chair
- Heriot-Watt University, Chair
- Birmingham University
- University of Cardiff
Conferences - Invited Keynote/Plenary Addresses:
- Editorial Board Member Lubricants, 2012-
- Editorial Board Member Advances in Mechanical Engineering, 2008-
- Editorial Board Member Open Applied Physics, 2007-
- Editorial Board Member Recent Patents on Mechanical Engineering, 2007-
- Editorial Board Member Tribology International, 2002-
- Editorial Board Member OMCIS e-books, 2012-
- Editor-in-Chief Advances in Automobile Engineering, 2012-
- Senior Advisory Panel Member Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 2010-
- Guest Editor Tribology International, Special Issue on 3rd International Conference on Tribo-Corrosion, 2012
- Guest Editor Tribology International, Special Issue on 2nd International Conference on Tribo-Corrosion, 2010
- Guest Editor Tribology International, Special Issue on 1st International Conference on Tribo-Corrosion, 2008
- Guest Editor Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Special Issue on 25th Anniversary of the Formation of the IoP Tribology Group: From Tribo-Physics to Tribo-Chemistry, 2007
- Guest Editor Tribology International, Tony Ball Memorial Issue, 2005
- Guest Editor WEAR, Special Issue on Wear Modelling, 2004
- Guest Editor Tribology International, Special Issue on Tribo-Erosion, 2002
- 21st Baltic Tribology Conference, Balmattrib 2012, Plenary speaker, Talinn, Estonia, October 2012
- Gordon Conference in Tribology, Invited speaker, Waterville, Maine, US, July 2012
- Society of Tribology & Lubrication Engineers Annual Meeting, Plenary speaker, St Louis, US, May 2012
- 3rd International Conference on Tribo-Corrosion, Plenary speaker, Atlanta, US, April 2012
- 4th UK-China Symposium on Lubrication and Chemical Aspects of Wear, Keynote speaker, Southampton, March 2012
- Seminar in Tribology, Invited speaker, Trondheim, Norway, October 2010
- 2nd UK/China summer school on Tribology and Surface Engineering, Invited speaker, Southampton, August 2010
- CIMTEC, Keynote speaker, Montecatini Terme, Italy, June 2010
- 2nd International Conference on Tribo-Corrosion, Conference Chair, Wiener Neusdat, Austria, March 2009
- 2nd International Conference on Advanced Tribology(iCAT 2008), Member, International Advisory Committee, Singapore, December 2008
- 2nd European Federation of Corrosion Workshop on Tribo-Corrosion, Member, Organising Committee, Freiburg, 2007
- Workshop on Bio-Tribo-Corrosion, EuroCorr, Freiburg, 2007
- Ist International Conference on Tribo-Corrosion, Conference Co-Chair and Keynote Presentation, Hyderabad, December 2006
- 1st UK/China Tribology Conference, Beijing, October 2006
- ASTM Meeting on Erosion of Coatings, Co-Chair, San Diego, California, April 2005
- Ist International Conference on Advanced Tribology(iCAT 2004), Member, International Advisory Committee, Singapore, 2004
- 8th South African International Conference on Tribology, Member, Organising Committee, Pretoria, South Africa, 2004
- 1st European Federation of Corrosion Workshop on Tribo-Corrosion, Member, Organising Committee, Nice, France, 2004
- Gordon Conference in Tribology, Discussion Leader, Session on Tribo-Corrosion, Rhode Island, 2004
- 30th International Conference on Advances in Coatings and Thin Films, San Diego, California, USA, April 2003
- 203rd Electrochemical Society Fall Meeting, Orlando, 2003
Prizes and Awards
Fellow The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining
Fellow The Institution of Mechanical Engineers
Fellow The Institute of Physics
National Science Council of Taiwan (NSC) Awards 2009 and 2007 for two one week visits to Universities in Taiwan.
Runner Up Guy Bengough Award IOM3 2007 for "Bridging the gap between Tribology and Corrosion- From wear maps to Pourbaix diagrams", International Materials Reviews, 50, 1-17, 2005.
RF Bunshah Award 2005 with Y. Purandare and P. Hovsepian for 'Impact angle effects on the erosion-corrosion of superlattice CrN/NbN PVD Coatings', Surface and Coatings Technology, 188-189, (1-2), 556-565, 2004.
Royal Society/Indian National Science Association Award 2005 for two week visit to research institutes in India 2005.
Full Publications List
A full publications list can be found on the Tribology research group website.